Powered By Blogger

Sunday, April 24, 2011

Taking the Next Step with Technology

I have been fortunate this semester to be introduced to many great texts about writing and the teaching of writing.  In my last post I talked about four great books I've explored and have shared (or plan on sharing) with my colleagues.  My writing class this semester is an online course.  At first I was a bit skeptical of how the course would play out (I had never taken an online course before).  However, I am so thankful for the opportunity to be a part of a digital community.  I have learned much about technology and writing.  I now have a few more tools to add to my writing/technology toolbox.  With the adoption of the Common Core Standards last month, I am excited that I am a bit more "in the know" when thinking about how to integrate technology.  I have just gotten a taste technology, and I am thirsty for more!

Our instructor introduced us to many interesting articles about writing and technology this semester. I have also read and explored other professional writing texts.  One text I'd like to talk more about is Lisa Miller's Make Me a Story: Teaching Writing Through Digital Storytelling
search.barnesandnoble.com

What I loved about the book:
  • The book is highly organized and has friendly language that ANY teacher could easily understand
  • Lisa gives a step-by-step process of  "how" to create a digital story
  • It gives a great argument for WHY we need to teach digital storytelling
  • It validates what teachers are already doing in the classroom without computers
  • The explicit steps make teachers feel at ease with taking their students to the next step by integrating technology
  • The digital storytelling process could easily be implemented K-6 (and beyond) with some modifications
  • It comes with a CD with examples of digital stories!
Big Nuggets:
How it will impact my teaching and learning at our school:
  • I have partnered with a second grade teacher this year, and we plan to try this on with her second graders.  I think the digital storytelling will be a great vehicle for the students "how to" books.
  • It will be a tool I will use when working elbow to elbow with teachers as I support them in their teaching
  • I work closely with a special education teacher who is always eager to try out new teaching strategies.  She has been looking to integrate technology into her classroom--this would be perfect for the students she works with.
I recommend this book to:
  • K-6 teachers
  • Technology Teachers
  • Librarians
  • Elementary principals
  • Undergraduate education students
  • University instructors working with education undergraduate and graduate level students

No comments:

Post a Comment