Powered By Blogger

Sunday, February 6, 2011

A Noise or Silence That Won't Go Away

Another prompt from the Pocket Muse...

"When did this start?" My worried, tired mind wondered. 
POW. POW. POW.
"I can't remember," I quickly answered myself.
POW. POW. POW.
Annoyed, I snuggled deeper under the covers and rolled over on my right side.
POW. POW. POW.
The cold, soft pillow welcomed the right side of my face and cradled my right ear.
POW. POW. POW.
"Can I really hear my heart beating in my ear or am I making this up in my head?" I silently asked myself. POW. POW. POW.
"Ugh.  I just want this noise to go away.  I need some sleep.  I need to get up in five hours, " I kept telling myself.
 POW. POW. POW.
"Is this how Mom knew something was wrong with her hearing?" I wondered.
 POW. POW. POW.
"I need to make sure I ask her," I told myself.
 POW. POW. POW.
"I guess the best way to describe this sound is a hammering noise, or like I can hear the blood being pushed through the blood vessels in my ear.  Either way, this is just crazy," I laughed to myself.
 POW. POW. POW.
"Maybe I'm just making this whole thing up... Maybe if I ignore it, it will just go away..." I tried to reason.

This sound still has not gone away.  I hear it most when my mind is not screaming one-hundred miles an hour. In the evening when I'm alone, just before I drift off to sleep, and when I first open my eyes, this is when my noise visitor likes visit the most.  I've learned that my little noise friend is tinnitus.  I've learned that I have a hearing loss in my right ear.  I know I'm my mother's daughter, because she experienced the same noise and was diagnosed with hearing loss at 31.  Three surgeries later, she wears hearing aids in both ears.   I wonder if I will have hearing aids in both ears at 60...

POW. POW. POW.

No comments:

Post a Comment